It’s been such a long time since I’ve posted here. Running to and fro, hither and yon…..so much has been happening.
So I’d like to update you on two things that mean a lot to me right now.
First, my 4th book has been released: The Single Truth: Written By Singles For Singles.
It’s a book collaboration of 10 single authors – 2 men and 8 women. We are different ages, backgrounds, personalities and experiences and we came together to bring this book to you. If you are single, you may relate to some of the chapters we shared. We talked about single parenting, loving yourself while single, financial security and 11 other important and interesting topics. We were real and open with our submissions.
If you are married, getting a copy of this book would help you relate to today’s singles. (Consider gifting it to someone you know who is unmarried.) The chapters and submissions were kept short on purpose so that readers would glean the lessons without it being long-winded. We are expecting conversations to come out of this book – panel discussions, workshops, relationship events, etc. The book is available on Amazon. After you get your copy, leave us a review on Amazon and consider extending an invitation to us to your event or consider ordering bulk copies for your singles group or book club by contacting us at email@example.com.
Second, New Jersey Singles Empowerment is BACK! We are hosting our 2nd event on Friday, November 10 at 6:30pm at Hilton Garden Inn-Edison, in Edison NJ. We are hosting The Flowers of Redefined TV, The Smiths of MEET THE SMITHS, Joel Parrish and Khristi Adams. These wonderful people will comprise our panel, and will discuss briefly the topic “Relationships vs Situationships: The Conversation Continues” followed by questions from the audience. We’re excited, and I am extending the invitation to you too! Please join us by getting your ticket HERE.
Thanks again for reading, and I’d love to meet you in person on November 10!
Are you unmarried and live in (or near) New Jersey? We have a solution for you. Come and spend an evening with New Jersey Singles Empowerment (www.empowerednjsingles.com) and meet new people!
Music, Dinner Buffet, Networking and Discussions on Friday May 26 at 6:30pm. Dressy casual; no sneakers. Register at singlessocialmixer.eventbrite.com today!
I can’t wait to meet you! See you there!
Recently, one of my Facebook friends hosted a FB Live session to speak about singleness. He’s a young, unmarried man (in his late 20’s) who is also a licensed minister at his local church. His concerns about the struggles that singles face, and how much being single may have affected his position in ministry were palpable.
On the following day I reflected on his video, and recorded my companion video(s) in response. Check out Part 1 here. Part 2 starts here.
Here are some thoughts from my video(s), in no particular order:
- Singleness seems to be a bigger challenge when you are in church leadership (I’m a minister), since you are held to higher standards. This is especially true for me as a mom, because I want to set the right example for my son.
- Divorcees are treated like the “black sheep” of the family in many churches. I think widows/widowers are treated better, since their spouses died. Overall, being single again sometimes feels like being ostracized.
- Once a young person in the church hits puberty, they are typically chased around about staying pure (i.e. no sex) and focusing on God until they graduate from college. Then, in many cases, they are dropped off to manage the single arena alone without support or guidance. Many singles then feel lost once they get to that stage.
- Churches and church leaders seem afraid to discuss topics that apply to their local singles. They seem hesitant to help us navigate the world of singleness. I believe it could be because they cannot relate to our struggles, since most church leaders are married.
- Spiritualizing everything that singles are feeling and handling doesn’t work, nor is it necessary.
- We may need to come up with our own solutions to help us manage the frustrations in being single.
Several of us expressed interest in following up on this important discussion. My Facebook friend suggested focus groups, but the participants must be willing to be transparent for them to be effective.
I will share updates to this discussion as soon as they are available.
If you saw my earlier blog, you realized that something special was on its way for unmarried people in or near New Jersey. Here it is!!!
Come and join us for honest, open conversation (you can ask questions), with a Mix & Mingle segment on Friday, November 11, 2016 at First Baptist Church of Hillside NJ! The Mix & Mingle starts at 6:45pm with free refreshments, followed by the main event at 8pm. We will open with Praise & Worship from Seth Nix & Genuine Praise (videos & Facebook). The conversations will be real……our guests keep it real when they share.
Our guest panelists will be:
Pastor Jerry & Tanisha Flowers of Redefined TV (videos & Facebook)
Kenyon & Taccara Martin of Empowered Couples (videos & Facebook)
Edward & Debbie Smith of MEET THE SMITHS (videos & Facebook)
All the speakers are focused on helping us who want marriage to be better prepared.
Click HERE to register. The entire event is only $20!!! I’d love to see you there!